Monday, March 20, 2006

Long Suffering Vietnam



Visual Gui [http://www.visualgui.com/] is a blog that's part of my daily rounds in the blogosphere. Donny is the owner of the blog, he's also a very nice and decent person, a loving son and a very talented artist.

A few weeks ago, I got entangled in a flame war on his blog, because of the musical slideshow that he created and posted, called «Bonjour Vietnam» [http://tinyurl.com/o4a6o], illustrating a Marc Lavoine song, interpreted in French by Ms Pham Quynh Anh. The flame war started because a lot of Vietnamese living in North America do not speak French and some people started spouting all kinds of nonsense based on their idiosyncratic misinterpretation of the song. One of them in particular posted a racist rant against the French, accusing Mr. Lavoine of the imaginary crime of anti-Americanism, blaming him for past crimes committed by French colonials and scolding anybody who likes the song for having a slave mentality. It was wild! Of couse, I couldn't let such stupidity go unchallenged and a vigorous exchange of nasty comments followed.

It seems like poor Donny is a controversy magnet, because he posted two other musical slideshows and was rewarded for all his troubles with vicious attacks, to the point where he had to take down the slideshows. You can read all about it on his blog, but most importantly, be sure to view his two slideshows, which are now up again. They are very poignant and emotionally engaging, especially the first one, A few Gifts for My Homeland [http://tinyurl.com/re8vk]. Here's the link to the second one, Vietnam in Memoriam: [http://tinyurl.com/o3s58].

Bravo, Donny, another job extremely well done!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the written up, I really appreciate it. I try to write you but get bounced back 3 times. :(

Buddhist with an attitude said...

That's weird. My «safe» email address is kwanyin47 at hotmail dot com. I did write to you from my email at work, so you could also use that address. I really enjoy reading your blog, Donny, and I had the privilege to find out about your kindness and decency during the big fight on Bonjour Vietnam, so if I can get more people to discover your blog, I'm happy to do it.