Wednesday, July 12, 2006

New Beauty Contest Rules in Vietnam


If you have watched the beauty pageants featured in various Paris by Night or other Vietnamese variety shows, you couldn't help but notice that the contestants were not particularly bright. In one recent contest, all the candidates were extremely young, physically and mentally, and they all parroted exactly the same lines: [breathy baby voice] «I would like to thank my mommy and my daddy». «The Vietnamese language is the breath of Vietnam», «My greatest concern is when I couldn't find my mommy's credit card to go shopping, tee hee!», etc.

If you were bothered by such display of intellectual deficiency in such beautiful bodies, cheer up, cause things are gonna change.

The Vietnamese Ministry of Culture and Information has adopted new regulations aiming at improving the level of maturity in the contestant pool. Now, entrants must be at least 18 years old (instead of 16 as before) and they must be graduates of senior high schools or higher education and have yet to undergo any cosmetic surgery or sex change. [I guess I'd better wait till after I win to have that operation].

The new rules also straighten the tangled Miss Vietnam crown fiasco, stating that only winners of any beauty pageant in Vietnam are eligible to enter international beauty contests under the title of Miss Vietnam.

Finally, proficiency in English is a must for those who want to take part in international beauty contests. And of course, no beauty pageants can be organized at high schools, historical relics or religious places. [http://tinyurl.com/zunge]

Duh...Uhh... “Math is hard!” “I love shopping!”“Will we ever have enough clothes?”

No comments: