Wednesday, January 02, 2008

When You Wish Upon A Star

I wish... I wish...

I was asked ("tagged" is the proper term, I think) to come up with eight things I wish for for the new year. My first reaction is the standard beauty contestants wish, i.e. world peace, but then I realized my tagger (http://dizzyfatplonka.blogspot.com/) would rather know what I really wish for (not that I don't want world peace, but let's be realistic here, I also want to be a rock star). So here goes:

1. I wish that human beings show more kindness to animals. May the people who torture or mistreat animals feel their victims' pain and fear. I wish/hope that karma is real..

2. I wish that grown ups show more kindness and respect to children. May they stop taking advantage of a young person's status of inferiority and vulnerability.

3. I wish that people show more kindness and understanding to old people. May they stop abusing the elders for their gradual and inevitable loss of body and mind.

4. I wish that people find love and acceptance in their life, so that they stop making other people feel unloved and rejected. I wish that people realize that happiness is not a limited commodity and that one can find happiness on one's own without taking/stealing it from others.

5. I wish that sex were no longer considered ugly, yucky and sinful, while war and violence were.

6. I wish that machines were made to serve humankind and not the other way round, so that people like me can make computers, electronic devices, cars, etc.. do what we want them to do, without requiring a Masters degree in engineering.

7. I wish that creativity, beauty and kindness were appreciated at all levels and not just when they are commercially viable.

8. I wish that all organized religions disappear from the face of the Earth. For good.



8 bis. I wish you love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been recommending a book called "My Stroke of Insight - a Brain Scientist's Personal Journey" by Jill Bolte Taylor and also a TEDTalk Dr. Taylor gave on the TED dot com site. And you don't have to take my word for it - Dr. Taylor was named Time Magazine 100 Most Influential People, the New York Times wrote about her and her book is a NYTimes Bestseller), and Oprah did not 4 interviews with her.

Anonymous said...

I grant your wishes, just bare with me it may take some time :)