Tuesday, November 18, 2008

O-Ba-Ma! O-Ba-Ma! O-Ba-Ma! O-Ba-Ma! O-Ba-Ma!

Last week-end, I was having pho with two of my good friends and one of them said: "Obama won! Aren't you happy?!" Then somebody said: "Apparently, a famous fortune teller predicted that his presidency will only last 3 years" and my friend was quite upset: "No, no, I don't believe a word of it!" The conversation changed and we never mentioned Obama again, but I can see that it's one more subject to avoid in our future conversations.

It is very frustrating for me, when friends try to talk politics with me, to realize that they are completely ignorant of the facts we are trying to discuss. The last time I had a talk with a friend about misoginy in the Obama campaign, she was adamant that Hillary has been treated fairly. When I mentioned this or that incident, she went: "Huh?" or "When did that happen?" or "Really? Are you sure?". It's like trying to discuss the directing career of Quentin Tarentino with an Amazonian Indian who's never seen a movie before. There's nothing to discuss if our two cognitive bubbles are not even overlapping.

Most people voted for Obama, or are happy that Obama won the election, because it's cool to have a black president. By voting for the cool guy, they can share in his coolness, and show that: 1) they are not racist, which is a cool thing, and 2) that they are part of a young intellectual cool movement. Issues, political platforms, voting fraud, etc... who the heck cares, we're cool, man, kewl, I tell ya!!!

No comments: